FAQ - Smart Connector
FAQ - Smart Connector
Create a Smart Connector with SOQL (Salesforce) Connection typeCurrently TapClicks pulls in data through direct integrations with a variety of Data Profile. The Smart Connector compliments this by providing an option to bring in data using .csv, .tsv, .xlsx and .odf file formats. Clients will typically export data in .csv, .tsv, .xlsx and .ods file formats from various platforms and import these files using the Smart Connector, either through a manual upload or by using a FTP / SFTP / Google Drive / Dropbox for data storage purposes. These Smart Connectors can be used either as a long term solution or as a workaround until an integration with the required Data Profile is created.
To Create a Smart Connector,
- Open TapClicks and in the left pane, click Administrator
- Click Smart Connector under Data Settings.
- Click the icon next to Smart Connector on the top of the screen.
- Enter a name and select Salesforce SOQL from the Delivery type drop down. Note: The Salesforce Object Query Language (SOQL) can be used to search organization’s Salesforce data for specific information. SOQL is similar to the SELECT statement in the widely used Structured Query Language (SQL) but is designed specifically for Salesforce data.
- After selecting the Salesforce SOQL option, the users will be redirected to the Salesforce login screen to authenticate the connection.
- Enter your valid Salesforce credentials and click Log In. If you are unable to connect, please contact your Account Manager.
- After entering the information for Smart Connector, fields to create a Query request becomes visible. You need to create a Query request to get the required data from the remote MySQL Database. Smart Connectors support only READ queries, like queries with SELECT. Note: Only columns selected in the query will be fetched by the Smart Connectors so users need to make sure that they are including all necessary columns in the query.
- In order to achieve memory optimization, the system will automatically paginate the data in batches of rows. Adding a LIMIT at the end of your query will prompt the system to have that many number of rows in the batch. However, because the order in which the rows are fetched from the database could vary from query to query, it’s best to add in your SQL statement in ORDER BY to ensure the data integrity.
Select Name FROM Account WHERE Industry = Media ORDER BY Account.Name LIMIT 10000
- Data types of all columns are detected automatically. It is recommended that users should check all the data types before saving the configuration to avoid incorrect data types. Please see the Field Type column in the image below: Note: Auto detection may select a column with number based on what is in that first row of data but that might not be how you intend the field to be used. For example, Id - as data type Number since it comes through as a 3 in the sample file, but it should be stored as Text as no mathematical operations such as Sum/Average is expected on a Id.
- Frequency of fetch
Historic and Daily fetches.Full: data within the last 6 months is fetchedPartial: data within the last 3 days is fetched
This is consistent with all Smart Connector delivery type options.
Note: This will depend on whether your Smart Connector is configured to fetch data based on Date or based on Last Modified Date
- Data Update
If certain fields in the query needs to be modified (unique fields, dates, and assigning configurations), the user would need to delete the data loaded to date through this Smart Connector before making the modifications. This can be done by clicking Delete, which is next to the Smart Connector names in the Smart Connector list.
However, a user can include additional fields on the query similar to if we were to add a new field from a .csv file to a Smart Connector. User can do this without deleting the previously loaded data.
Partial / full fetch apply to existing and new assigns in regards to filling the database with these new fields. This functionality is in line with all other Connection Type / Delivery Type options in the system today.